news

Professor Andrew McNaughton appointed Chairman of the UIC Intercity & High Speed Committee

Posted: 5 February 2016 | | No comments yet

Following a call for candidates launched by the UIC management, Professor Andrew McNaughton, Technical Director of the HS2 Project (second high-speed line under project in the UK), has been appointed as the new Chairman of the UIC Intercity & High Speed Committee for the period 2016-2017. After a long and highly fruitful period of activity, […]

Professor Andrew McNaughton

Professor Andrew McNaughton

Following a call for candidates launched by the UIC management, Professor Andrew McNaughton, Technical Director of the HS2 Project (second high-speed line under project in the UK), has been appointed as the new Chairman of the UIC Intercity & High Speed Committee for the period 2016-2017.

Professor Andrew McNaughton

Professor Andrew McNaughton

After a long and highly fruitful period of activity, the former Chairman, Mr Michel Leboeuf has retired from his functions at the SNCF. Michel will continue to be linked with the UIC High Speed activities as Honorary Chairman.

As Technical Director of HS2, Andrew is responsible for developing the principles, network and specific route design for high-speed rail in Great Britain, providing technical expertise in civil engineering, requirements and assurance, railway systems and environment and planning.

Among other relevant positions, Andrew was previously Chief Engineer at Network Rail and is or has also been Special Professor of Rail Engineering at Nottingham University, Visiting Professor of Engineering at both Imperial College London and Southampton University, Vice Chair of the EU Transport Advisory Group, Chair of the European Rail Research Advisory Council, and Special Advisor on rail to the Australian Government. In the past, he has also Chaired the UIC Infrastructure Forum.

Andrew will be helped by two Vice Chairmen, Mr Eduardo Romo, President of FCH (Spanish Fundación Caminos de Hierro) and Mr Huo Baoshi, Director of Science & Technology Department from CR (China Railway Corporation).

At the opening of the Platform meeting Mr Jean-Pierre Loubinoux highlighted the importance of the work done so far, and the expectations for the years to come, in particular the venue of the 10th UIC HIGHSPEED world congress in Turkey.

He thanked Michel Leboeuf for his precious contribution and welcomed Andrew McNaughton, whose recognition in the field of intercity travel and experience of UIC will be of great value to pursue the mission.

Andrew has been a key editorial contributor to Global Railway Review over recent years and we wish him all the best as Chairman of the UIC Intercity & High Speed Committee.