Thameslink Programme unearths former South London railway station
20 April 2015 • Author: Katie Sadler, Digital Content Producer, European Railway Review
A South London railway station which served passengers 100 years ago has been uncovered by Thameslink Programme engineers constructing the Bermondsey Dive Under.
Southwark Park station opened in 1902 located on a viaduct above Rotherhithe New Road. It closed for good in 1915 due to competition from trams and buses and the coming of the First World War.
The discovery of a former ticket hall and platforms were made by Thameslink Programme engineers whilst working on a project to rebuild the railway in Bermondsey. The £6.5bn Thameslink Programme is rebuilding much of the railway from New Cross Gate through London Bridge and on to Blackfriars and St Pancras. The Bermondsey Dive Under will see two Victorian viaducts partially-demolished and rebuilt to allow Charing Cross trains from South East London and Kent to dive down to almost street level, under a new route carrying Thameslink services from Croydon, and back up again.
Project Manager Greg Thornett commented on the discovery: “The Bermondsey Dive Under is a key part of the Thameslink Programme, creating the railway necessary to provide a frequent and reliable service through London Bridge and make a huge difference to passengers’ journeys, cutting journey times and making the services more reliable.
“We uncovered the footings for the former platforms while we were preparing the top of the viaduct for new track and we are now working up in the roof space of the former ticket hall to fill in the old sky lights, ready to carry the final track alignment.
“Much of the existing stretch of viaduct will be replaced by the ramps into and out of the new dive under, but the arch that used to house the old booking hall will remain.”
Additionally, 20 timber baulks bridges will be replaced between New Cross and Waterloo East. The structures will be stronger and last longer between maintenance.