New direct GNER rail services proposed between London King’s Cross and West Yorkshire and London King’s Cross and Cleethorpes
27 February 2014 • Author: Arriva
Great North Eastern Railway (GNER), part of Arriva UK Trains’ Alliance Rail Holdings, has today announced its application to introduce a new direct express train service on the East Coast Main Line (ECML) between London King’s Cross, and stations in West Yorkshire and Lincolnshire to commence in December 2017.
The key features of this GNER proposal are:
- a two-hourly service to Leeds calling at a new East Leeds Parkway station
- six trains a day continuing to Bradford and one to Ilkley, all calling at Kirkstall Forge,
- an important new commercial and residential development
- up to four trains a day to Cleethorpes via Doncaster, Scunthorpe and Grimsby, restoring direct links between Humberside towns and London
- investment in a fleet of new Hitachi Super Express 140mph capable trains
- a total investment of at least £130 million
- more than 160 new jobs created for this operation, plus significant wider economic benefits across the towns and cities served.
Ian Yeowart, managing director of Alliance Rail, GNER’s parent company, said: “This proposal is an important opportunity to further strengthen and grow the UK’s rail network. It will bring significant private investment to the industry; improve transport for passengers by delivering direct inter-city rail services to many new areas, and support government aims to generate wider economic benefits and future opportunities in the North of England.”
Akiem Artesyn Embedded Technologies Bombardier Transportation Fenner Precision Frauscher Sensor Technology GHH-BONATRANS Harsco Rail McGeoch LED Technology Mechan Rosehill Rail Röchling Engineering Plastics SE & Co. KG Schenck Process GmbH SMTC Stadler Rail AG Weighwell Engineering Ltd